Prof. Szymon P. Malinowski
University of Warsaw
Degrees and titles
Professor of Earth Sciences, 2008.
PhD in physical sciences, geophysics discipline, specialization in atmospheric physics (IGF PAN), 1998. Thesis title: Fine-scale structure of swirl clouds.
PhD in natural sciences in the field of geophysics, Institute of Geophysics of the Polish Academy of Sciences (IGF PAN), 1988. Thesis title: Behavior of cooling tower and chimney streaks under various weather conditions, with particular emphasis on mixing processes. Supervisor: prof. dr hab. Krzysztof Haman.
Master of Physics, specialization: atmospheric physics, University of Warsaw, Faculty of Physics, 1982. Thesis title: Elevation of emissions from chimneys in various weather conditions. Supervisor: prof. dr hab. Krzysztof Haman
Employment and functions
– from 2020 – chairman of the interdisciplinary advisory team for the climate crisis at the President of the Polish Academy of Sciences
– since 2016 – director of the Institute of Geophysics, Faculty of Physics, University of Warsaw
– 2002-2013 – head of the Department of Atmospheric Physics, Institute of Geophysics, Faculty of Physics, University of Warsaw
– Cloud and precipitation physics
– Atmospheric turbulence
– Numerical modeling of atmospheric processes
– Atmospheric measurements from the plane
– Remote measurements
– Nonlinear processes in the atmosphere
Popularization of science
Co-founder, author, editor of the Nauka o Klimacie portal, co-author of the book under the same title. Laureate of the Science Popularizer 2017 competition in the “team” category. Co-author of the film on global warming “You can panic”, in which he warns of the impending climate catastrophe.
We invite you to watch the movie on the website https://www.itsokaytopanic.org